by Chef Phil Frederick, Mon Ami Gabi
Yields 4 portions
¾ cup sugar
5 oz. butter
6 gala apples
Frozen puff pastry sheets
(4 5” diameter rounds)
1.Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2.Put butter and sugar in small saute pan. Cook over medium heat until it has reached a deep golden brown color. (Mixture will appear separated.)
3.Divide mixture evenly into four 4½” diameter oven-safe baking ramekins.
4.Peel apples, cut in half and remove the cores.
5.Place three apple halves in each ramekin standing upright.
6.Place four ramekins onto a baking sheet and bake in a 350 degrees oven for 25 minutes.
7. Flip apples over and bake another 25 minutes, then flip apples again. Continue baking until the apples are caramelized and very soft.
8. Remove from oven and let cool.
9. With a fork, prick puff pastry rounds several times.
10. Place a puff pastry round over each ramekin, tucking the edges in between the apples and the edge of the ramekin.
11. Place back in the oven and bake until pastry is golden brown and puffed (approximately 25 minutes).
12. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
13. To serve, warm Tarte Tatin briefly in oven.
14. Remove from oven and run a knife along the edge to loosen, and unmold onto a plate.
15. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.